Lowcountry hurricanes : three centuries of storms at sea and ashore / Walter J. Fraser, Jr.
Related electronic resources
- http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip0610/2006008065.html - Table of contents only
- http://www.h-net.org/review/hrev-a0f3v8-aa - Book review (H-Net)
- http://shipindex.org - Index to vessels mentioned in this resource
Currently available copies
0 current holds on 29 total copies.
|Library System: Library Branch Name
Find the name of the library system and branch closest to you.
|Shelving Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Status|
|Troup-Harris Regional Library:
Harris County Public Library
(Send Call No. in Text Message)
- ISBN: 0820328669 (hc : alk. paper)
- ISBN: 9780820328669 (hc : alk. paper)
- ISBN: 9780820333335 (pbk.)
- ISBN: 0820333336 (pbk.)
- Physical Description: xiii, 319 p.,  p. of plates : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Publisher: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Press, c2006.
Contents / Notes
Includes bibliographical references (p. 299-306) and index.
The early years, 1686-1797 -- First storms of the new century, 1800-1804 -- A cycle of hurricanes, 1806-1824 -- Last storms of the cycle, 1825-1837 -- Mid-century storms, 1840-1857 -- Another cycle of tropical storms and hurricanes, 1865-1885 -- Major hurricanes at century's end, 1893-1898 -- Hurricanes and Gales of the twentieth century, 1904-1979 -- Hugo and after, 1989-2004.
"This illustrated history recounts how, for the past three hundred years, hurricanes have altered lives and landscapes along the Georgia-South Carolina seaboard. A prime target for the fierce storms that develop in the Atlantic, the region is especially vulnerable because of its shallow, gradually sloping sea floor and low-lying coastline." "With an eye on both natural and built environments, Walter Fraser's narrative ranges from the first documented storm in 1686 to recent times in describing how the low-country has endured some of the severest effects of wind and water. This chronology of the most notable lowcountry storms is also a useful primer on the basics of hurricane dynamics."--BOOK JACKET.